Come to find out, there’s a celebration (or two) every day of the year (April 30th is National Honesty Day, and I'm already planning to have an honest discussion with myself). This Saturday, April 25th, is World Penguin Day, a celebration of the beginning of the annual northward migration of the Antarctic’s Adelie penguins. I’m a big fan of the penguin. Not just for their obvious cuteness, but for their tenacity, their loyalty and their attention to detail.
Six things you can do to increase awareness of this marvelous penguin journey:
- Take a friend to the zoo -- or if you can’t muster the penguin perseverance to make it there, watch this video from the lazy comfort of your home: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHJWtLhHoE0
- Attend a penguin parade -- or if that’s too much trouble, too, watch this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hocght2zfhA
- Read a book about a penguin to your child. Or better yet, play a penguin game: http://www.nationalgeographic.com/marchofthepenguins/game/
- Wear black and white (tuxedos are optional).
- Walk around your block a bazillion times in solidarity.
So, take a little time Saturday to wish them well. Happy trails, Penguins!!! Take a sweater.